Sunday, August 1, 2010

I Felt A Draft

True story from Spring 2009, as requested.

It was a slightly special evening because we had guests for dinner. They were the kind of guests that you don't have to shine the silver for, but you do anyways.

I was minding my own business. Actually, I had been taking care of my own business in a little room off a long hall that leads back to the dinner table. The lights were low and there was a lovely glow of candlelight reflecting off of silver and glass. My Labrador, Jane, was faithfully by my side, matching her stride to mine. I had been ill for a long time, so my dining gown was actually my sleeping gown paired with a pale blue robe, which is how what next was even able to occur.

My underwear had hit the ground. I was slowly walking, more shuffling, and then there it was. I was one step closer to au naturale. I froze, Jane froze. Everyone was busy enjoying their dinner and the company, but I was just steps away from them. I looked down at Jane, she looked up at me, we both looked down at the rogue underwear, and then back at each other again. I wish she could have vocalized what she was thinking. “Um, do you want me to go for help?” or maybe, “Well that doesn't happen everyday”.

I retrieved what I had lost as quickly and as quietly as I could. Jane staid with me for a couple of more steps, and then excitedly ran ahead to the people we were rejoining. I am kind of thankful now that she doesn't' speak English. That night would have turned her into a gossip.

No comments:

Post a Comment