Saturday, April 17, 2010

First you think it, Then you say it, Then you do it

I am exhausted. I think in a good way. Health is great, I'm just lacking a bit of inspiration. This is a bit embarrassing because inspiration is all around me. New life is everywhere, my trees are beautiful, the flowers are blooming, the weather is gorgeous. But still. All I want to do is nap on the deck instead of put my house in order. Hmm, maybe I'm just being hard on myself again. Who wouldn't rather nap outside with that breeze over having to do all of the dishes.

Yesterday was the same way, but I did go out and take care of some errands with my mom. Actually, we were out longer than expected and as it turned out, Mom's day wasn't over yet. Really the only thing I could do to make her evening easier was to drop her off at her house. Right before I left her place, I decided to get a cold drink from my new groceries in the hatch of my car. This one innocent action was the beginning of the end for all of my day's good endeavors.

My mother's next door neighbor is lovely. She's just stunning to look at and her yard is a small sanctuary. She was out front filling up some pots, we waved and greeted each other, and then she started giving me one compliment after another. I have been behind on my laundry, so the cleanest thing I found to wear was a sundress. Just a simple sleeveless cotton dress that is a nice purple. I'm not sure I had brushed my hair. Apparently the combination worked very well and the neighbor wanted to take my photo in front of her coral honeysuckle out back. I very much have been wanting an invitation to visit, so even though photos were involved, I had to go.

It was totally worth it. The coral vine was thick and growing over a lovely archway. This is where I got to stand and have a couple of quick pix taken of me. Lovely! Of course, I looked slightly uncomfortable as I always do in front of a camera. But that doesn't matter. The honeysuckle was the real star. And of course I got the grand tour. I loved every second of it. I drooled a bit over the ginger flowers. Thankfully, the neighbor took this as a sign of a kindred spirit instead of a sign that maybe inviting me over is something that should never happen again. I was experiencing a complete garden high.

And I was not quite in my right mind when I finally did head for home. For the second part of my story, I have to back up a little. When I was driving with Mom back to her house, we past by my new favorite barbecue place. It's located on a little piece of land in the country and the food is served from a trailer. All I did at that particular moment was to think "Yummmy.... Barbecue".

At the neighbor's house we discussed both flower and food gardens. I had said that because of my medication and barbecue addiction that I try to make everything else that I eat organic. Even my cayenne pepper.

And there it was, the action. I was driving to the barbecue trailer. I joyfully ordered my sandwich and skipped back to my car with it. This tasty tasty sandwich sat alluring on the passenger's side seat. Traffic was working against me. So against me. I took a bite. And then another bite. The cars moved 2 feet and I put the sandwich down. Once I was at a full stop, I closed up the sandwich and put it on the floorboard. Someone should really do something about the length of the lights on Swisher.

I stretched for the sandwich, stole another bite and returned the contraband to the floorboard. Ugh. We all inched forward. Slow inches. I grabbed for the sandwich again, and then this time when I was done put it in the backseat. If I'm not using my cellphone in the car (I also don't know where my cellphone is), then I'm pretty sure that drooling over my chopped beef sandwich with spicy sauce, pickles and jalapenos is also out. I was 12 minutes from home and already halfway through the sandwich.

About a quarter of it made it into the house. Oh forbidden barbecue, how I love you. What I really need is a carrot farm to drive past. Then my day would end with spicy carrot soup. Oh well, it was worth it. My only worry now is if my husband or mom will want to eat there tomorrow. I'll have to work out a secret wink with the barbecue people to not out me.

If you happen to be out my way, go to Tredway Barbecue. If you are supposed to be having dinner at my house, pick me up a sandwich, too.

1 comment:

  1. Ha. Now my mouth is watering for that barbeque. It really is the best around here.

    ReplyDelete