Saturday, January 8, 2011

Bubbly And Bobby

The women of my family are notorious lightweights. 2 glasses of champagne and we're completely silly. My aunt, my mother and I all spent this New Years trying to finish off two bottles of bubbly. The bubbly won, but really only because we accidentally froze the last part of the last bottle. We tried warming it up next to the fire, but once we finally noticed that it was ready to drink, the bottle was too hot to pass around. There was dancing, laughing, Mom kept running into me saying that it was a legal hockey move. We watched Ladyhawke and then wobbled off to bed.

No one drank to the point of crying, although there was reason enough to do so. All three of us were apart from our men, all for different reasons.

New Years has never been one of the important nights for Karl and I because retail has beat it out of us. Stores still close early enough to be able to enjoy the celebrations, but champagne guzzling does not mix well with early rising. Karl's team is all younger than him and so we both prefer to try and give them the morning off. My sadness came from being away from home. He had come to see me just a few days earlier, but still, I was missing our quiet days together rocking on the porch with Coco and Jane close by. There is no place like home.

Mom had not seen her husband since before Christmas and New Year's is a very big deal for them. His family is in Canada, hers are in Texas. Spending New Year's together has been a wonderful compromise to avoid travel on Christmas day. Besides, starting the year together is kind of an ultimate date night.

And then my aunt, Ruth Ann. Her fiance had died suddenly just four days earlier. She had last seen him Monday morning, but had been unable to be close to him when he died. And so from that night till a week later, we staid close to her.

It's surprising how events around a death speed up, as if the world is trying to fill a vacuum that the person left. The phone rang constantly, arrangements were being made, dismissed and then remade. Unwanted drama upon unwanted drama. The brother that no one wanted to talk to, the windshield that got bashed in during the night, the unexpected house guests. All 7 cats went into high gear naughtiness mode. So many flower vases to knock over onto original copies of documents, so little time.

I have been home 5 days now, and time has been so slow here that months must have past by at my aunt's house. Today is Bobby's memorial, and it's a beautiful blue skied day.

Just a bit ago I was sending a message to someone that had the word "prayers" in it. Sometimes my forgetfulness affects my spelling, so I starting typing "prayers" in the searchbox on my computer, hoping that the word did not have 2 a's in it. I barely had the word spelt when the dropdown box gave me my suggested spelling along with another word. It read "Prayers for Bobby".

Turns out there is a movie with this title, but still what are the chances that on a yahoo searchbox the first spelling suggestion for my word is a full phrase with the name of the man who we just lost?

Coco and Jane are napping in the sun, the sky is blue, I have a warm blanket wrapped around me and I am sending my best wishes of peace and happiness to Ruth Ann.

1 comment: