Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Fowl Revenge

There is nothing that I want more right now than a taco. Unfortunately, no trace of Mexico can be found in my kitchen. The flour tortillas have been used for my husband's lunch (I am way too good to him), the crunchy taco shells are all gone (why did I keep an empty box in the pantry?), no salsa anywhere. The lettuce has faced the firing squad and was abandoned in the crisper, or rather, the wilter. I do have cream cheese so my honor as a Southerner is intact. What I do have is turkey. Lots and lots of turkey.

We bought our house a used upright freezer for Christmas this year. It waits patiently for us in the garage. New to the idea of hoarding food, we were not used to it's bells & whistles. The bells being lots of shelves, the whistles we had not yet discovered.

After successfully freezing pizza rolls and jalapeno poppers, we graduated to whole chickens and then a turkey. All was well in the world of frozen overstock food. Then came New Years. Karl discovered the whistles. The freezer had an interior light. We had not noticed that the light had gone out because of the infrequent use of the freezer and it's relative newness. Our modest bounty had for the last 3 days been slowly defrosting. Our frosty garage was the only thing that saved us from the unpleasant task of cleaning out a stinky expensive mess.

I brought in the new year feeling like the Grand Cook of Lake Dallas. Since then I have made 5 lunches for us & for the freezer (which is now on an outlet of its very own) I have made turkey pot pies, chicken rellenos, turkey quiche, chicken cheesy casserole, turkey pablano casserole, turkey and herby cornbread stuffing, lemony turkey pasta, spicey peanut chicken pasta, turkey sweet potato stew... and there is still enough turkey for 2 more meals. I don't know whether to curse the existence of turkey or go buy 3 more for the freezer.

1 comment: